- A child’s first Dentist visit should be between 2-3 years of age. The first dental exam is usually short and involves very little treatment. We may ask you to sit in the dental chair and hold your child during the examination.
- We will gently examine your child‘s teeth and gums. X-rays may be taken to reveal decay and check on the development of your child’s permanent teeth. We may clean your child’s teeth and apply fluoride to help protect the teeth against decay. Most importantly, we will review with you how to clean and care for your child’s teeth.
How to prepare your child for the first visit
- Take your child for a preview of the office
- Read books about dental visits
- Explain to them what the dentist will do
- Speak positively about your own dental experiences.